Hampstead resident drove Porshe which hit au pair in tragic accident

A GERMAN au pair was killed instantly in a collision with a high performance 4x4 driven by a Hampstead resident just a week before she was due to leave the UK.

Kristina Sporbeck was slammed into a stretch of metal railings after being struck by a black Porsche Cayenne as she tried to cross Knightsbridge at the junction with Albert Gate in June 2009.

The supersize vehicle was being driven by Ali Megerisi, who lived in Hampstead at the time but has since moved to the Middle East.

Miss Sporbeck had been on her way to see a friend when she was hit by Mr Megerisi’s car at around 10pm.

At the time she was working as an au pair in Belgravia to improve her English, but was due to leave in just seven days to begin a university course in Vienna.

You may also want to watch:

A coroner ruled on Monday that the 20-year-old, who was born in Herne, Germany, died in a “tragic accident”.

One eyewitness described seeing Mr Megerisi’s car as travelling at “around 50mph” while another said it looked like it was in a “police chase”.

Most Read

A police investigation calculated his speed to be “at least 33mph”, but lawyers for Mr Megerisi said an independent investigation showed he may have been travelling slower.

Guilham Goyard, said he had been waiting at a bus stop in Knightsbridge when he saw the Porsche drive by.

He told the court: “The car entered Knightsbridge at a very high speed. It was like when you have a police car chasing someone.

“What struck me as well as the speed was the sound of the engine going into another gear (as it went past).”

In police interview at the scene Mr Megerisi said he had not seen Miss Sporbeck until it was too late. He told officers: “Before I knew it there was a lady running at full speed and I could just see her near to the left of my car.

“She was about two or three feet from my car.

“I did not really have time to react and before I knew it she was on the bonnet of the car then she was on the floor.

“It was as if she did not notice the car.”

He told officers he did not believe he had been speeding.

The inquest heard that a set of earphones were found near to Miss Sporbeck’s crumpled body, but there was no evidence to suggest she had been listening to music as she crossed the road.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Dr Shirley Radcliffe turned to Miss Sporbeck’s mother who travelled from Germany to attend the inquest and said: “Unfortunately your lovely daughter is never going to come back and the manner of her death was a very traumatic event, but at the end of the day it has been quite rightly put to the court that this was simply a tragic accident.

“There’s no better way to describe what has happened and I therefore record that Miss Sporbeck has died of multiple injuries.”

Speaking after the hearing Miss Sporbeck’s employer Michelle Woodley said: “She was outgoing and bubbly.

“She had been in the UK for nearly a year and she was leaving the next week to go to university in Vienna.

“Her mother has taken this very hard. This was her only daughter and it has been very difficult for her and it continues to be hard.”

Mr Megerisi had been expected to attend the hearing but the court heard he had been unable to travel from his new home in Dubai for ‘medical reasons’.

Mr Megerisi was arrested at the scene and later charged with careless driving, but the case was eventually dropped.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus