Hampstead mother bringing ‘food bank for parents in need’ to Belsize Park
- Credit: Archant
A charity that provides clothes, toys, books and equipment for babies and children up to the age of five is set to arrive next year
Little Village describes itself as a food bank for parents in need. Run entirely by volunteers, it encourages parents to donate items they don’t use any more so they can be given to struggling parents.
A branch has been established in in Wandsworth, but Kirsten Westlake, a Hampstead mother, says there is a “desperate need” for one in Camden - where 36 per cent of children live under the poverty line.
The volunteer-run charity has found a potential home in the old community library in Belsize Park, but are lacking funds to secure the building.
“We would be moving in with The Winch - whose mission for young people is very much aligned with our own,” said Ms Westlake. “But we really need to raise £15,000 by Christmas to secure the site as ours.”
Ms Westlake has applied for Camden grants, including The Wells and Campden Trust, but the money will not arrive in time - if at all.
Little Village organisers came together as a group of local parents hoping promote sustainable living, and make it easy for local families to help one another.
- 1 John Lewis Christmas advert: The Golders Green teenager who met an alien
- 2 Obituary: Tributes to Gospel Oak toy 'legend' Kristin Baybars
- 3 10 suspected north London drug dealers arrested in dawn raids
- 4 Remembering Katie: Ex-Ham&High reporter killed by carbon monoxide
- 5 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 6 Meet the Crouch End duo taking on McDonald's
- 7 Hampstead's Old White Bear to reopen before Christmas
- 8 Deliveroo puts in retrospective application for permanent 'dark kitchen'
- 9 How Covid could set back Antonio Conte's Spurs revival
- 10 Men wanted in connection with 'appalling' antisemitic incident on Oxford Street
It offers a weekly drop-in service for families who need items, a delivery service and a referral service for people who need help with health or finances.
The organisers want to give out packages that feel like gifts, rather than hand-outs, so we include goodies for the mum, and only pass on items that they would want to give a friend.
Support Little Village Camden here: www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/littlevillage-camden