Hampstead law firm offers free legal advice to families
A law firm in Hampstead has teamed up with a Camden charity to offer free legal advice to families and help the charity at the same time.
Law firm R A Savage & Co, which has recently moved from Heath Street to Perrins Court, will be offering weekly legal advice clinics from next Monday (October 31).
Normally a client visiting a solicitor in north London could expect to pay at least �200 an hour for advice.
But the clinic will offer 30 minutes of legal advice free of charge as long as a contribution of �10 is donated to charity Home-Start Camden.
Rosemary Savage, senior partner at R A Savage & Co, said: “In this tough economic climate many people are often not able to afford the costs that can be incurred when instructing solicitors and some people may simply wish to use the advice clinic to enquire as to whether they need the assistance of a solicitor at all.”
You may also want to watch:
The charity is a natural ally for the law firm.
Home-Start is an unfunded service which provides help and support each year to 100 families with young children in the borough.
- 1 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 2 Camden’s recycling rate has fallen – and this rubbish is now urgent
- 3 Revealed: The five most polluted places in Camden
- 4 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 5 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 6 Highgate primary praises new school street scheme restricting cars
- 7 James, Feeder and Maxïmo Park to play opening night of Kenwood
- 8 Three men charged after police officer injured in traffic stop
- 9 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 10 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
The legal clinic will offer advice on all aspects of family law including wills, financial settlements, family breakdown and divorce.
Luke Thompson, an associate solicitor at the practice, said the free service was especially pertinent with looming cuts to legal aid affecting the most needy.
He said: “In the light of recent cuts in access to justice there is an increasing need for lawyers to offer pro bono services.
“Limited access to family justice could mean an influx of those who don’t qualify for legal aid opting to run cases on their own, putting them at a distinct disadvantage.
“What better way to try and put that right than by offering the service free, with a donation to a worthy charity.”
Home-Start Camden has welcomed the partnership.
Chairwoman Liz Sturgeon said: “Home Start Camden lost its funding from Camden some years ago, but successfully managed to raise funds to keep its vital services going.
“However, we are now having to reapply for funding and know we may have to face big cuts.
“For many families we are a lifeline and we welcome the support of R A Savage & Co as part of a drive to keep our services going.”
The clinic will run every Monday from 5.30 to 7.30pm until the end of the year, with a possible extension into next year if successful.
If you are interested in attending a free appointment, an advance booking is essential.
To arrange a booking call the firm on 020 7431 7711 or visit www.rasavage.co.uk