Hampstead Heath toilets to reopen in time for weekend
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Heath bosses are planning to reopen some toilets ahead of the coming weekend.
The City of London Corporation (CoLC) confirmed that, as lockdown continues to ease, it would be bringing back limited toilet facilities for Heath-users.
This comes after public toilets on the Heath have been closed for the duration of lockdown, with hot weather seeing reports of vistors urinating and even defecating in woodland areas.
One observer described that “parts of the Heath had become an open sewer”.
A CoLC spokesperson said: “We are intending to open the toilets in a limited capacity ready for this coming weekend.”
You may also want to watch:
Previously during lockdown the CoLC has said it has been unsafe to open the toilets while ensuring its staff and visitors are able to observe social distancing.
Initiatives like Lockdown Loo – which maps open toilets for public use around the country - have highlighted places people have been able to safely spend a penny.
- 1 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 2 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 3 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Church closes Highgate path over 'antisocial behaviour and assault'
- 5 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 6 'Negligence put lives at risk': £10k fine after fire at unlicensed HMO
- 7 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 8 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
Near the Heath, this has included Swain’s Lane restaurant the Carob Tree, while the toilets next to Kenwood House’s cafe recently reopened.