Hampstead Heath swan who found love ‘responding well’ to treatment after shocking dog attack
- Credit: Archant
The Hampstead Heath swan whose love affair captivated north London is “responding well” to treatment following a dog attack saw her injured on Highgate No.1 Pond.
Mrs Newbie, a widow who found love while recovering from a previous injury at the Shepperton Swan Sanctuary, had to be rescued after being attacked last week.
The swan, who currently has seven cygnets, was rescued on July 14 after volunteers were spent hours trying to safely capture her – and she has spent the last week back at the swan sanctuary.
The cygnets are now being looked after by Mrs Newbie’s partner, Wallace, while she recovers.
READ MORE: Hampstead Heath’s widow swan now has seven cygnets after finding love at the Shepperton Swan Sanctuary Gill Walker from the Swan Sanctuary said Mrs Newbie had last saw a vet on July 20, She said: “The injury has not been stitched due to infection risks, although she is responding well to treatment and we are cautiously optimistic.
“However, wounds from dog bites are unpredictable so we must not be complacent. It’s impossible to predict at this time how long her recovery time will be.”
The two swans originally met at the Swan Sanctuary in March when Mrs Newbie was recovering after being found injured on a local roof.
The City of London Corporation, which manages the Heath, has appealed for witnesses to the attack, on July 13, to come forward.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 3 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 4 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 5 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 6 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 7 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 8 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 9 Hornsey Exchange opening first step in bringing town hall 'back to life'
- 10 Haringey to splash £54m on Civic Centre makeover and extension