Hampstead Heath’s lockdown love swan rescued for emergency treatment after dog attack
- Credit: Archant
The famous love swan of Highgate’s No.1 Pond has been rescued for emergency treatment after being attacked by a dog.
Mrs Newbie, a widow who later found love in lockdown and had seven cygnets, was injured on Monday (July 13), since which rescue efforts have continued.
Eventually, on Tuesday evening at 9.30pm, Mrs Newbie was recovered by a team of helpers from Swan Support, one of whom aboard a kayak managed to grab her and then hold the swan between their knees.
Mrs Newbie was then taken in a cage to the Swan Sanctuary in Shepperton for treatment, Heath sub-committee member Ron Vester told the Ham&High.
Ron said: “The wounds were severe but there’s hope she will survive.
You may also want to watch:
“I watched poor Wallace (Mrs Newbie’s partner) sitting in the middle of the pond, the poor creature.
“He will be monitored carefully with the seven cygnets until hopefully his famous mate Mrs Newbie comes home.”
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 9 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 10 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged