Hampstead Heath’s lockdown love swan rescued for emergency treatment after dog attack
- Credit: Archant
The famous love swan of Highgate’s No.1 Pond has been rescued for emergency treatment after being attacked by a dog.
Mrs Newbie, a widow who later found love in lockdown and had seven cygnets, was injured on Monday (July 13), since which rescue efforts have continued.
Eventually, on Tuesday evening at 9.30pm, Mrs Newbie was recovered by a team of helpers from Swan Support, one of whom aboard a kayak managed to grab her and then hold the swan between their knees.
Mrs Newbie was then taken in a cage to the Swan Sanctuary in Shepperton for treatment, Heath sub-committee member Ron Vester told the Ham&High.
Ron said: “The wounds were severe but there’s hope she will survive.
You may also want to watch:
“I watched poor Wallace (Mrs Newbie’s partner) sitting in the middle of the pond, the poor creature.
“He will be monitored carefully with the seven cygnets until hopefully his famous mate Mrs Newbie comes home.”
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 7 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end