Hampstead Heath Ponds Project delays leave female swimmers without single-sex bathing pond
- Credit: Archant
Female swimmers face at least a week without a single-sex bathing pond on Hampstead Heath because of a delay to the Hampstead Heath Ponds Project works.
Women who want single-sex swimming were due to move to the Mixed Pond for three months when the Kenwood Ladies’ Pond closes tomorrow to allow dams project works to go ahead. But the City of London Corporation allegedly told the Kenwood Ladies’ Pond Association (KLPA) on Tuesday that there has been a delay to dredging works at the Mixed Pond. Female swimmers now face a wait of at least a week before they can move to single-sex swimming at the Mixed Pond.
The group has been told alternative arrangements are in the pipeline, which could include mixed swimming sessions at the Men’s Pond, and women-only sessions at Parliament Hill Lido. These were set to be confirmed as the Ham&High went to press.
The delay comes in the wake of an announcement that works to the Model Boating Pond are three months behind schedule.
The KLPA are to mark the closure of the pond tomorrow by wrapping the outskirts with a 180ft-long knitted scarf they have made.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the City of London Corporation, said: “Desilting at Mixed Pond will take one week longer than programmed and ladies will be able to move there from Monday, 8 February.
“Mixed swimming for ladies will be provided at the Men’s Pond and the Lido this week with ladies-only sessions in the afternoon.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 7 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 8 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 9 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 10 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
“We are building a new changing and lifeguard facility at the Ladies Pond which will be a big improvement.
“It provides indoor and outdoor changing, indoor and outdoor showers, toilets and a first aid room.
“The new building is sympathetic to its surroundings and was designed in consultation with swimmers.”