Hampstead Heath men’s bathing pond closed after teenager dies swimming
- Credit: Archant
The Hampstead Heath Men’s Pond will be closed until 7am tomorrow after the body of a teenager was discovered late last night.
Police were called to the bathing pond at about 5.30pm after reports that a 19-year-old was “in difficulty”.
Specialist officers from the Marine Policing Unit attended and his body was recovered from the water shortly before 11pm.
The City of London Corporation, which runs the Heath, sent out a statement on Twitter this morning stating: “The Men’s Pond will not be open today or for the foreseeable few days owing to a Metropolitan Police investigation. 1/2.”
It then tweeted: “Men wishing to swim today will be able to do so at the Parliament Hill Lido 2/2.”
You may also want to watch:
But it has this afternoon sent out further Tweets stating that the pond will re-open as normal tomorrow.
- 1 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 4 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 5 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 6 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 7 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 8 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 9 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 10 Finchley welterweight Florian Markun has opportunity to stamp his mark