Hampstead Heath men’s bathing pond closed after teenager dies swimming
- Credit: Archant
The Hampstead Heath Men’s Pond will be closed until 7am tomorrow after the body of a teenager was discovered late last night.
Police were called to the bathing pond at about 5.30pm after reports that a 19-year-old was “in difficulty”.
Specialist officers from the Marine Policing Unit attended and his body was recovered from the water shortly before 11pm.
The City of London Corporation, which runs the Heath, sent out a statement on Twitter this morning stating: “The Men’s Pond will not be open today or for the foreseeable few days owing to a Metropolitan Police investigation. 1/2.”
It then tweeted: “Men wishing to swim today will be able to do so at the Parliament Hill Lido 2/2.”
You may also want to watch:
But it has this afternoon sent out further Tweets stating that the pond will re-open as normal tomorrow.
- 1 How Agatha Christie spent the war in Hampstead
- 2 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 3 Bailed: Men arrested in connection with antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 4 Teenage girls banned from Camden after Hampstead robbery spree
- 5 'No one cares': Mother claims 'horrible' leaks and mould left ignored
- 6 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 7 Hampstead man 'scammed out of £700' by DPD worker
- 8 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 9 Huge summer window awaits Daniel Levy at Tottenham Hotspur
- 10 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat