Hampstead Heath men’s bathing pond closed after teenager dies swimming
- Credit: Archant
The Hampstead Heath Men’s Pond will be closed until 7am tomorrow after the body of a teenager was discovered late last night.
Police were called to the bathing pond at about 5.30pm after reports that a 19-year-old was “in difficulty”.
Specialist officers from the Marine Policing Unit attended and his body was recovered from the water shortly before 11pm.
The City of London Corporation, which runs the Heath, sent out a statement on Twitter this morning stating: “The Men’s Pond will not be open today or for the foreseeable few days owing to a Metropolitan Police investigation. 1/2.”
It then tweeted: “Men wishing to swim today will be able to do so at the Parliament Hill Lido 2/2.”
You may also want to watch:
But it has this afternoon sent out further Tweets stating that the pond will re-open as normal tomorrow.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'