Hampstead Heath Conker Championship breaks ‘world record’ for largest tournament
- Credit: Archant
Just a few short years ago, the annual Hampstead Heath annual Conker Championships broke the Guinness World Record for the biggest ever knock-out conker tournament, when 395 people turned up.
And Heath bosses have told Heathman they think this year’s championship may have broken that record again, with more than 400 descending on the Heath to play the old-fashioned playground game on Sunday.
Unfortunately, no-one from the Guinness World Record team was on hand to ratify the record.
But it didn’t matter to the hundreds of all ages who came along to do battle on the Heath at the 14th tournament.
Paul Maskell, the Heath’s leisure and events manager and “conkermeister”, said: “We had a quick look at how many were there and it was well over 400.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “ It is such a good day to come out and enjoy that game called conkers which has been happening for many, many moons, and particularly on Hampstead Heath.”
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 4 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 5 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 6 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours