Hampstead Heath brawl: Four charged with assaulting police after fight in Parliament Hill Fields
- Credit: Kenza Bryan
Four young people have been charged with offences including assaulting police officers after the mass brawl on Hampstead Heath on Tuesday evening.
Three females and one male were arrested and charged with assaulting police officers and common assault, while a fifth man was released “under investigation”.
In a statement, Sgt John Hounsell who leads the local ward policing for Hampstead and Highgate said “five police officers were assaulted”.
Sgt Hounsell said that “increasingly hostile” behaviour by some of the group saw the officers call for back-up.
He said though the officers’ initial concerns had been adherence to social distancing rules, but fights soon broke out among the crowd, and officers were also allegedly attacked.
You may also want to watch:
The officer urged young people to continue to observe social distancing and not gather in groups of more than six people, and said: “Antisocial and violent behaviour will not be tolerated.”
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 9 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 10 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'