Hampstead Heath brawl: Four charged with assaulting police after fight in Parliament Hill Fields
- Credit: Kenza Bryan
Four young people have been charged with offences including assaulting police officers after the mass brawl on Hampstead Heath on Tuesday evening.
Three females and one male were arrested and charged with assaulting police officers and common assault, while a fifth man was released “under investigation”.
In a statement, Sgt John Hounsell who leads the local ward policing for Hampstead and Highgate said “five police officers were assaulted”.
Sgt Hounsell said that “increasingly hostile” behaviour by some of the group saw the officers call for back-up.
He said though the officers’ initial concerns had been adherence to social distancing rules, but fights soon broke out among the crowd, and officers were also allegedly attacked.
You may also want to watch:
The officer urged young people to continue to observe social distancing and not gather in groups of more than six people, and said: “Antisocial and violent behaviour will not be tolerated.”
- 1 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 2 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 3 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
- 6 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 7 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home