Hampstead Heath bathing ponds get water quality thumbs up
- Credit: Archant
Swimmers can indulge themselves in the Heath’s icy waters this Christmas as the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has given the Men’s, Ladies’ and Mixed Ponds positive ratings for water quality.
The men’s pond leads the way with an excellent rating, but both the mixed and ladies’ ponds were given scores of good, too.
Anne Fairweather, deputy chairman of the City of London Corporation’s Hampstead Heath Management Committee, said: “These results are a testament to the exceptional work of our staff.
“We are dedicated to maintaining the swimming ponds bathing water as clean for the benefit of all Londoners.”
The committee added they were pleased work to improve the water quality at two segregated ponds had paid off.
You may also want to watch:
This work, as part of the Heath Ponds Project, saw aquatic plants and aerators introduced into the waters and desilting take place.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 3 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 4 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 5 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 6 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 7 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 8 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 9 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 10 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale