Hampstead Heath bathing ponds and Parliament Hill Lido will reopen on July 11
- Credit: Archant
The Hampstead Heath bathing ponds and the Parliament Hill Lido will reopen on Saturday July 11 after the government announced further lockdown easing.
Would-be swimmers are only able to book access online, which the City of London Corporation (CoLC) – the body who manage the Heath – said was essential to manage social distancing.
Lifeguards have received special training, and enhanced cleaning and signage should help keep swimmers safe.
Test swims have been carried out, and sessions will be first available in the mornings.
Visitors will not be able to swim without having already booked a ticket.
READ MORE: Hampstead Heath ponds swimmers protest but disappointment as pools not covered by government reopening guidanceAnne Fairweather, who chairs the CoLC’s Hampstead Heath management committee said: “We are delighted to begin safely reopening Heath’s swimming facilities after getting the green light from the government, who responded to our call to allow outdoor pools to open swiftly.
You may also want to watch:
“This is welcome news to the hundreds of thousands of Londoners who enjoy the bathing ponds and Lido every year.
“We are asking all swimmers to respect the new safety arrangements, and recognise that we have limited capacity with these COVID-secure restrictions, as we welcome people back.”
READ MORE: Hampstead Heath ponds swimmers trial social distancing, but warn campaign against charges will continueThe first swimmers to take to the water will be the first to pay the controversial new charges – £4 for adults, £2.40 for concessions – which are now mandatory and have been subject to the ire of swimming associations since the beginning of 2020.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 8 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
The government announced measures on Thursday evening which will allow outdoor pools, among other leisure sites, to reopen.