Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust accused of issuing ‘gagging order’ by trustee
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust has been accused of being undemocratic by issuing a “gagging order” to one of its trustees.
Dr Saul Zadka, 52, claims the trust is in the process of passing a new code of conduct instructing trustees not to speak to outside bodies, such as the press, unless asked to by the trust council.
It follows a story published in the Ham&High in March in which Dr Zadka claimed the trust was risking “financial suicide” by defending a High Court action brought against it by banking tycoon Sir Victor Blank.
He said: “It’s a gagging order, it’s a way to force trustees to accept the official line. They think the trust should be seen as a united organisation.
“This stands against the principles of democracy. The chairman ignores the fact that half of the trustees are elected directly by residents.”
You may also want to watch:
As a registered company, trust chairman Angus Walker said the trust and its trustees were subject to legislation governing the conduct of companies and their directors.
He added: “The law requires directors of companies to accept collective responsibility for the decisions of their boards. The trust council accepts the force of the legislation which relates to directors’ conduct.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 3 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 6 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 7 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 8 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 9 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 10 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
“It’s about trying to make that explicit [to trustees].”