Hampstead Garden Suburb recognised for ‘worldwide significance’
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Garden Suburb has been recognised for its worldwide significance.
Last week, the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) awarded the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust a certificate in recognition of the area’s historical importance to worldwide planning, as part of the RTPI’s centenary year.
Cath Ranson, president of the RTPI, said: “Hampstead Garden Suburb is internationally recognised as one of the finest examples of early twentieth century town planning, incorporating many elements of planning that today we take for granted - the importance of neighbourhood and community, the environment, and good design.”
Ms Ranson and members of the London branch of the RTPI were taken on an expert tour of the Suburb last Wednesday, led by the trust’s architectural advisor David Davidson.
Trust manager Jane Blackburn said: “We are delighted to have the work of the trust, Barnet Council and residents, and the significance of the Suburb formally recognised and celebrated by the RTPI.
You may also want to watch:
“Showing the Suburb’s unique architecture and landscape to the newly appointed president continues a long-standing tradition of RTPI visits to the area.”
The trust was set up in 1968 to preserve the character of Hampstead Garden Suburb, which was founded by Henrietta Barnett as a “model community for people of all classes living together in beautiful houses”.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 5 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 6 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 7 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 8 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 9 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 10 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin