Hampstead Garden Suburb recognised for ‘worldwide significance’
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Garden Suburb has been recognised for its worldwide significance.
Last week, the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) awarded the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust a certificate in recognition of the area’s historical importance to worldwide planning, as part of the RTPI’s centenary year.
Cath Ranson, president of the RTPI, said: “Hampstead Garden Suburb is internationally recognised as one of the finest examples of early twentieth century town planning, incorporating many elements of planning that today we take for granted - the importance of neighbourhood and community, the environment, and good design.”
Ms Ranson and members of the London branch of the RTPI were taken on an expert tour of the Suburb last Wednesday, led by the trust’s architectural advisor David Davidson.
Trust manager Jane Blackburn said: “We are delighted to have the work of the trust, Barnet Council and residents, and the significance of the Suburb formally recognised and celebrated by the RTPI.
You may also want to watch:
“Showing the Suburb’s unique architecture and landscape to the newly appointed president continues a long-standing tradition of RTPI visits to the area.”
The trust was set up in 1968 to preserve the character of Hampstead Garden Suburb, which was founded by Henrietta Barnett as a “model community for people of all classes living together in beautiful houses”.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 9 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 10 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council