Hampstead Garden Suburb councillor steps down
- Credit: © Blake Ezra Photography Ltd.
A Hampstead Garden Suburb councillor has announced he is to step down from Barnet Council in order to focus on his business.
Conservative councillor Danny Seal has timed his decision in order for his successor to be elected at the same time as the general election to avoid the extra costs of a separate by-election.
Cllr Seal’s departure will make for a nail-biting election for the Conservative group, which only has a one-seat majority on the council.
But the Tories will be fully expected to reclaim Cllr Seal’s seat in Garden Suburb ward, a Conservative stronghold.
Cllr Seal said: “It has been an honour and a privilege to represent the Garden Suburb ward for the last five years. I’ve had to take the decision of stepping down as my growing business is demanding more of my time abroad.
“I therefore regret I cannot give 100 per cent to both the business and my ward. I’ve enjoyed working with members of the community and councillors Marshall and Rozenberg.
“I shall miss the cut and thrust of local politics and wish my successor all the very best.”
- 1 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 2 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 3 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 4 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 5 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 8 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
- 9 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 10 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
Barnet Council leader Cllr Richard Cornelius said: “Daniel has been a committed councillor and member of the Conservative Party.
“I’m pleased his business is expanding and, no doubt, this was a difficult personal decision for him to take, but I respect the reasons behind it.
“He’s helped the council and the Conservative Party achieve many positive things for the Garden Suburb. Local Conservatives will announce their candidate to fill the vacancy shortly.”