Hampstead comedian Ricky Gervais is sued by angry author
AN IRATE author and illustrator is suing Hampstead funnyman Ricky Gervais after insisting that the Hollywood and TV star ripped off his work. John Savage, 44, has accused the millionaire comedian, actor and writer of copying his work for his best-selling
AN IRATE author and illustrator is suing Hampstead funnyman Ricky Gervais after insisting that the Hollywood and TV star ripped off his work.
John Savage, 44, has accused the millionaire comedian, actor and writer of copying his work for his best-selling children's book Flanimals.
Mr Savage claims in a High Court writ that Flanimals, which features cartoon illustrations of fictional creatures, is largely based on his own book Captain Pottie's Wildlife Encyclopedia, published four years earlier.
He is suing The Office and Extras star for an unspecified sum relating to profits generated from the worldwide sales and other rights to Flanimals, plus interest.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Savage, of Norwich, is also requesting that all existing copies of Flanimals be destroyed.
In 2004, Mr Gervais launched Flanimals, which Mr Savage claims is "broadly the same in content and character" to his own book Captain Pottie's Wildlife Encyclopedia.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 7 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
The writ says: "The infringing work is not only substantially the same in artistic and in literary content - a number of the characters are similarly named and drawn - but share a common general format."
The writ claims Mr Gervais has sold the film rights for Flanimals for $80m (�52.5m) and said the book's publication had "led to confusion among the buying public of the origin and authorship of the works".
It continues: "As a result of the defendant's wholesale copying of the work in his infringing work, the claimant has suffered significant financial hardship and loss, not to mention damage to his reputation as an illustrator."
Flanimals features fictional creatures including the mernimbler, blimble, sprent and honk.
The book has spawned several sequels and is being made into a Hollywood movie.