Hampstead business group makes contribution to world peace – by unveiling tile in garden
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A charitable group of Hampstead businesses has made its mark on a community garden that is dedicated to promoting world peace.
The Rotary Club of Hampstead unveiled the latest “peace tile” at the World Peace Garden in South Hill Park, Hampstead, last Wednesday, May 29.
The garden displays a number of tiles that are designed to share messages of peace and the Rotary Club’s contribution is marked with the words “peace through service”, in honour of the organisation’s theme for 2013.
It was presented by Donovan Whitfield, president of Rotary Club of Hampstead, and Eve Conway-Ghazi, the district governor of Rotary in London.
Mr Whitfield, who is also head of science at The King Alfred School in Golders Green, said: “We wanted to show our support for the garden, and the theme ‘peace through service’ links perfectly in with the ethos of the garden.
You may also want to watch:
“The idea is to encourage people to serve each other in the community – if you work actively on service, peace seems to follow.”
He added: “The garden is absolutely marvellous this year, especially with all the extra work put into it over the summer – it is wonderfully green and flowery, I suggest that everyone should go and visit it.”
- 1 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 2 Prince Philip's funeral: Camden firm Levertons to make arrangements
- 3 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 6 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 7 'Negligence put lives at risk': £10k fine after fire at unlicensed HMO
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Revealed: How council paid £23m for an office block valued at £10m
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
Later the same evening, The Rotary Club of Hampstead was handed the Rotary International Presidential Citation in honour of its commitment to peace in the past year at a dinner at the nearby Magdala pub in South Hill Park.