Hampstead business group makes contribution to world peace – by unveiling tile in garden
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A charitable group of Hampstead businesses has made its mark on a community garden that is dedicated to promoting world peace.
The Rotary Club of Hampstead unveiled the latest “peace tile” at the World Peace Garden in South Hill Park, Hampstead, last Wednesday, May 29.
The garden displays a number of tiles that are designed to share messages of peace and the Rotary Club’s contribution is marked with the words “peace through service”, in honour of the organisation’s theme for 2013.
It was presented by Donovan Whitfield, president of Rotary Club of Hampstead, and Eve Conway-Ghazi, the district governor of Rotary in London.
Mr Whitfield, who is also head of science at The King Alfred School in Golders Green, said: “We wanted to show our support for the garden, and the theme ‘peace through service’ links perfectly in with the ethos of the garden.
You may also want to watch:
“The idea is to encourage people to serve each other in the community – if you work actively on service, peace seems to follow.”
He added: “The garden is absolutely marvellous this year, especially with all the extra work put into it over the summer – it is wonderfully green and flowery, I suggest that everyone should go and visit it.”
- 1 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 2 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 3 How many trees have been felled in the Parkland Walk?
- 4 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 5 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 6 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 7 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 8 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 9 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 10 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
Later the same evening, The Rotary Club of Hampstead was handed the Rotary International Presidential Citation in honour of its commitment to peace in the past year at a dinner at the nearby Magdala pub in South Hill Park.