Hampstead and Highgate gears up for Royal wedding
ROYAL Wedding fever is running high in Hampstead and Highgate with organisers gearing up for an array of street parties and special events.
West Hampstead’s Lymington Residents Association will hold a screening of the wedding at Dresden Close followed by a street party in Crown Close to include face painting, tarot readings and two bouncy castles.
Association chairman Paul Mingo said: “The atmosphere is running really high. We can’t wait to bring the community together and raise money for Kate Middleton’s new charity at the same time.”
In New End, Hampstead, road closures will allow party-goers to enjoy a BBQ supported by the Old White Bear pub and Butcher and Providore delicatessen.
Lambolle Road in Belsize Park hopes the coming street party will be the glue they need to bring the community together more often in future.
You may also want to watch:
Organiser Samantha Bussy said: “We’ve launched a new website especially for the wedding, we have local businesses involved as sponsors, and we hope to get a fire engine along for the day for the children to play on.”
In Hampstead Garden Suburb Asmuns Hill and Corringham Road will each be holding a street party.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
“Ours is a traditional party with a Punch and Judy show and an afternoon tea,” said Pia Duran of Asmuns Hill.
Tufnell Park residents are closing Lupton Street for a party to celebrate the opening of St Benet and All Saints’ church gardens, as well as the wedding.
Fun will include a princes and princesses parade and a cake competition. Organiser Matthew Sebag-Montefiore said he was keen to celebrate the good work done by the community.
In Highgate there will be a street party on Langdon Park Road, off Archway Road, and three days later on May Day, Chestnut Avenue in Crouch End will be celebrating.
All of these events are for residents and friends only, due to licensing requirements. So if you are still looking for somewhere to go the following places are open to all.
The Everyman Cinema in Belsize Park is offering a free live screening complete with royal wedding cupcakes and Pimms.
The Garden Gate pub in South End, Hampstead, is holding an alfresco royal wedding hog roast with a band and treats like Pimms and Eton mess.
Residents of Perrin’s Lane off Hampstead High Street will be holding a party either in the street or in the King William IV pub to raise money for the nearby Henderson Court Day Centre, which is facing closure.
King William IV landlady Elain Loughran said: “We’ve had some delays getting permission to close the road from the council. But everyone’s so enthusiastic that if we can’t close Perrin’s Lane we’ll hold the party in the pub.”