Ham&High reporters lend a hand at St John’s Hospice on Mitzvah Day
- Credit: Archant
The reporting team at the Ham&High spent a couple of hours at St John’s Hospice to kick off a week of Mitzvah activities...
Mitzvah Day is an annual event that takes place every November.
It is a day of faith-based social action, where people take the time to volunteer within their community.
It was an absolute pleasure to meet patients at the day centre in St John’s Wood, as we helped serve lunch and joined them for some conversation.
At the hospice, visitors to the centre, who come for a varity of reasons including poor health. Patients seemed delighted with their new waiters for the day and shared some personal and thought provoking stories.
The clinical day unit, is managed by nurse Sue Hutton, and we were told is “the best you can get.” It was amazing to see how happy everyone at the centre was, despite suffering from physical, emotional, social, and psychological problems.
Clive George, who turns 70 on Thursday, has been coming to the day care centre for 10 years, after contracting bone cancer. He now comes every Tuesday and Friday and says it’s a great place to have a few laughs.
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 3 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 4 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 5 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 6 Matt Lucas backs school's drive to build arts studio
- 7 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 8 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: 'An astonishing choral display'
- 10 Highgate neighbours say they are 'not listened to' by care home owner
“It’s fantastic, we’re well looked after and it’s a place to share a joke.
“I’ve made so many friends but it’s the people here at the hospice who look after us and make the time which is so great.”
Reporter Harry Taylor said: “It was wonderful to go to St John’s Hospice and play a small part in helping out with the clients. Mitzvah Day is an excellent concept people should get involved, not just on the day but all year round.”
St John’s Hospice, part of the charitable hospital of St John and St Elizabeth are in urgent need of volunteers. If you would like to volunteer call 020 7806 4049 and visit St John’s Hospice website to find fundraising opportunities.
The JW3 centre on Finchley Road will be hosting a number of activities to mark Mitzvah Day.
If you are interested in participating at JW3 email Jacob Forman at email@example.com
More than 40,000 will take part in Mitzvah Day this year, which falls on Sunday November 19.
You can sign up for Mitzvah day here