Editorial comment: How can PM ignore Nazanin?
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has been in prison in Iran since April 2016. Her captivity has seen three Prime Ministers and four Foreign Secretaries – and both lists include Boris Johnson.
Her husband Richard's latest letter leaves it very clear indeed that he believes not only has Boris Johnson contributed to Nazanin's ongoing imprisonment, but that the prime minister's actions have led to further arrests of British citizens in Iran.
Nazanin's case is an international scandal, and Richard's words leave little doubt in mind that the current prime minister of this country has not taken her case seriously.
This casts huge doubt on his integrity and his capacity to represent this country on the international stage.
It is only a few months ago that we were treated to the stunning spectacle of Mr Johnson laughing and smiling with Iran's leader Hassan Rouhani.
You may also want to watch:
How any British leader can do so while many British citizens are arbitrarily in prison in Iran beggars belief.
Other political parties have made Nazanin's case and the wider scandal of how Britain treats its people abroad part of their manifestos at this election.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 3 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 7 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 10 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
That Boris Johnson's Conservatives have avoided doing this is unforgiveable - and all the more so given the undeniable role he played in her continued trauma.
Get her out.
And get the others out, or you have no place asking for our votes on December 12. This debases the UK at home and abroad, and cannot be allowed to continue.
Iran are playing us. And for too long this country's leaders have been all too happy to leave a talented woman and a young mother in a jail cell on the other side of the world in order to prevent losing face.
Get over it. Get her out.