Hairdresser accused of attacking warden

PUBLISHED: 17:25 10 January 2008 | UPDATED: 14:40 07 September 2010

Zulfi Amade. Picture by Polly Hancock

Zulfi Amade. Picture by Polly Hancock

A HAIRDRESSER has spoken of his horror at being pinned to a wall by four parking wardens, arrested, accused of assault and thrown in a police cell for five hours

Marc Mullen

A HAIRDRESSER has spoken of his horror at being pinned to a wall by four parking wardens, arrested, accused of assault and thrown in a police cell for five hours.

Zulfi Amade, 62, spotted a warden writing a ticket for a car belonging to a waitress from a neighbouring restaurant on Belsize Road in Kilburn.

He claims the female warden agreed not to ticket the car if he fetched the waitress.

But when he returned a ticket had been slapped on the car and the waitress broke down in tears.

Mr Amade, who has run Zulfi's hairdressers for more than 30 years and is chairman of the Kilburn Business Association, said: "I asked the warden why she did it, why she had made the waitress cry and she said it was her duty. She then said she would ticket my car, which was parked legally, just to inconvenience me.

"The next thing was she pointed to some blood on her face and said I hit her. I never touched her and I have witnesses who saw the whole incident."

The warden radioed for help and three NCP employees arrived from the Camden Council Envir-onment Office on Belsize Road.

Mr Amade was pinned to the wall at the front of his shop for 45 minutes as the wardens waited for the police during the stand off last month.

When the police arrived Mr Amade was handcuffed, arrested and taken to Holborn police station where he spent five hours in the cells.

Ebrahim Karafakioglu, who runs Ekin restaurant next door to Zulfi's, said: "I saw most of the incident and Zulfi definitely did not hit anyone.

"They were arguing, but there was no violence until I saw the wardens pinning Zulfi to the wall."

Mr Amade has been bailed to return to Holborn police station tomorrow and still faces the threat of being charged with GBH.

He said: "It was a terrifying experience and it still is as it's not over. I cannot believe that these wardens are allowed to behave like this.

"There is CCTV that NCP use. I asked to see it, but conveniently the cameras were not pointing in that direction."

The parking warden says she was struck by a sharp object and was treated at the Royal Free hospital.

A report of the injury has been supplied to the police.

Tim Cowen of NCP said: "This was a frightening incident after which a female parking attendant received a deep cut to her face and was in hospital until late evening.

"She was then advised by her GP to remain off sick for the following week, although we are pleased to say that she is now back at work."

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express