Hacker in last-ditch bid to dodge US extradition
Robyn Rosen CROUCH End computer hacker, Gary McKinnon s seven-year fight to prevent his extradition will end this week. Mr McKinnon, 43 and a former Highgate Wood pupil, has been awaiting extradition after being accused of causing $700,000 worth of damag
CROUCH End computer hacker, Gary McKinnon's seven-year fight to prevent his extradition will end this week.
Mr McKinnon, 43 and a former Highgate Wood pupil, has been awaiting extradition after being accused of causing $700,000 worth of damage when he allegedly hacked into US security systems from his Hillfield Avenue home in 2002.
In August 2008, he lost his appeal at the European Court of Human Rights, the highest court in the land, and the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, ordered his extradition.
You may also want to watch:
But in January this year, he won the chance to appeal Ms Smith's decision and today (Wednesday) he will be given one last chance to prevent his extradition during a judicial review at the High Court.
His lawyers will argue that his late diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome in August last year was not considered in the original trials and his extradition could lead to his mental health deteriorating and a breach of human rights.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
A decision will be made tomorrow (Wednesday).
Keep visiting this site for regular updates.