Hacker in last-ditch bid to dodge US extradition
Robyn Rosen CROUCH End computer hacker, Gary McKinnon s seven-year fight to prevent his extradition will end this week. Mr McKinnon, 43 and a former Highgate Wood pupil, has been awaiting extradition after being accused of causing $700,000 worth of damag
CROUCH End computer hacker, Gary McKinnon's seven-year fight to prevent his extradition will end this week.
Mr McKinnon, 43 and a former Highgate Wood pupil, has been awaiting extradition after being accused of causing $700,000 worth of damage when he allegedly hacked into US security systems from his Hillfield Avenue home in 2002.
In August 2008, he lost his appeal at the European Court of Human Rights, the highest court in the land, and the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, ordered his extradition.
You may also want to watch:
But in January this year, he won the chance to appeal Ms Smith's decision and today (Wednesday) he will be given one last chance to prevent his extradition during a judicial review at the High Court.
His lawyers will argue that his late diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome in August last year was not considered in the original trials and his extradition could lead to his mental health deteriorating and a breach of human rights.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
A decision will be made tomorrow (Wednesday).
Keep visiting this site for regular updates.