GUNNERS YEARS: Victory over Luton guarantees top spot
1986: Arsenal were guaranteed top spot at Christmas after a 3-0 win over Luton Town. The Gunners moved five points clear at the top of the Canon League Division One – and extended their unbeaten run to 22 games – but had to wait until 71 minutes to make
Arsenal were guaranteed top spot at Christmas after a 3-0 win over Luton Town.
The Gunners moved five points clear at the top of the Canon League Division One - and extended their unbeaten run to 22 games - but had to wait until 71 minutes to make the breakthrough when Niall Quinn struck.
Tony Adams doubled the lead and Quinn set up Martin Hayes for his tenth of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Manager George Graham said: "I was pleased we were so patient - in 1971 we played many games like that on the way to the championship.
"The spirit is running through the club again like it did when I was in the team."
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 3 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
And asked by a journalist if substitute Charlie Nicholas had lost weight, the Scotsman quipped: "I don't know - I haven't cuddled him recently.