GUNNERS YEARS: Swede Schwarz signs on dotted line
1994: Arsenal finally sign a midfielder … Benfica s experienced Sweden international Stefan Schwarz agrees to move to Highbury after talks with George Graham, who has been tracking him since he starred for the Portuguese in a 3-1 win at Highbury in 1991.
Arsenal finally sign a midfielder ... Benfica's experienced Sweden international Stefan Schwarz agrees to move to Highbury after talks with George Graham, who has been tracking him since he starred for the Portuguese in a 3-1 win at Highbury in 1991.
'I've decided that I want to play for Arsenal. I am ready to come to London to sign after the Portuguese championship is settled,'' confirms the 25-year-old, who will cost around �1.8 million.
"If he wants a new experience at another of the best teams in Europe then we will not deny him that opportunity,' added Benfica's general secretary Sheu Han.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Uefa confirm that Ian Wright and Johnny Jenson will both recieve medals, despite missing the Cup-Winners'-Cup final win over Parma earlier this month.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 8 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 9 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre