GUNNERS YEARS: Skipper Rice apprehensive after sixth round draw
1978: FA Cup favourites Arsenal are drawn against either Blyth Spartans or Wrexham in the sixth round of the FA Cup. Ladbrokes cut the Gunners odds from 5/2 to 2/1 after the draw, but skipper Pat Rice is mildly apprehensive. I m sure either club will gi
FA Cup favourites Arsenal are drawn against either Blyth Spartans or Wrexham in the sixth round of the FA Cup.
Ladbrokes cut the Gunners odds from 5/2 to 2/1 after the draw, but skipper Pat Rice is mildly apprehensive.
"I'm sure either club will give us a hard game but if I could have picked a draw it would have been this one," admitted Rice.
You may also want to watch:
"It's got to be better than travelling to Nottingham Forest or Derby County."
Spartans' fifth round home tie with Wrexham, to be played at Newcastle's St James's Park, has been postponed due to heavy snow in the north-east. Arsenal had beaten Walsall 4-1 at home in the previous round - 45 years after the tiny Midlands club had famously knocked Herbert Chapman's Gunners out of the competition.
- 1 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 4 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 5 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 8 'I want to make a difference': new leader for Haringey Council
- 9 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins