GUNNERS YEARS: Robson drops 'tired' Mariner and Rix from England squad
1984: Arsenal duo Paul Mariner and Graham Rix are dropped from the England squad for the forthcoming internationals with Scotland and the Soviet Union. They re very tired and they need a rest, explains England manager Bobby Robson, who has seen his squ
Arsenal duo Paul Mariner and Graham Rix are dropped from the England squad for the forthcoming internationals with Scotland and the Soviet Union.
"They're very tired and they need a rest," explains England manager Bobby Robson, who has seen his squad dilapidated due to injury and tiredness. "There are so many players unavailable it is getting complicated," he added, ruefully.
Meanwhile, Dundee United defender Maurice Malpas is being monitored by Gunners boss Don Howe. Arsenal finish the 1983/84 season in sixth place - two points clear of Spurs - despite slipping to a 1-2 reverse at Watford on the final day.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 3 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 6 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 7 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 10 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab