GUNNERS YEARS: Robson drops 'tired' Mariner and Rix from England squad
1984: Arsenal duo Paul Mariner and Graham Rix are dropped from the England squad for the forthcoming internationals with Scotland and the Soviet Union. They re very tired and they need a rest, explains England manager Bobby Robson, who has seen his squ
Arsenal duo Paul Mariner and Graham Rix are dropped from the England squad for the forthcoming internationals with Scotland and the Soviet Union.
"They're very tired and they need a rest," explains England manager Bobby Robson, who has seen his squad dilapidated due to injury and tiredness. "There are so many players unavailable it is getting complicated," he added, ruefully.
Meanwhile, Dundee United defender Maurice Malpas is being monitored by Gunners boss Don Howe. Arsenal finish the 1983/84 season in sixth place - two points clear of Spurs - despite slipping to a 1-2 reverse at Watford on the final day.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 9 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre