GUNNERS YEARS: Robson drops 'tired' Mariner and Rix from England squad
1984: Arsenal duo Paul Mariner and Graham Rix are dropped from the England squad for the forthcoming internationals with Scotland and the Soviet Union. They re very tired and they need a rest, explains England manager Bobby Robson, who has seen his squ
Arsenal duo Paul Mariner and Graham Rix are dropped from the England squad for the forthcoming internationals with Scotland and the Soviet Union.
"They're very tired and they need a rest," explains England manager Bobby Robson, who has seen his squad dilapidated due to injury and tiredness. "There are so many players unavailable it is getting complicated," he added, ruefully.
Meanwhile, Dundee United defender Maurice Malpas is being monitored by Gunners boss Don Howe. Arsenal finish the 1983/84 season in sixth place - two points clear of Spurs - despite slipping to a 1-2 reverse at Watford on the final day.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 3 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 4 'Huge relief': Golders Green care home celebrates booster rollout
- 5 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 6 Punk Blythe doll worth almost £1,000 visits Camden Town
- 7 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 10 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'