GUNNERS YEARS: Rioch blames himself for Chelsea draw
1995: Bruce Rioch blamed himself after two points dropped in the 1-1 home draw with Chelsea. I cocked it up – I was too cautious, admitted the Arsenal manager after he manmarked Dennis Wise and John Spencer to stifle the Blues attacking threat. Spencer
Bruce Rioch blamed himself after two points dropped in the 1-1 home draw with Chelsea.
"I cocked it up - I was too cautious," admitted the Arsenal manager after he manmarked Dennis Wise and John Spencer to stifle the Blues' attacking threat.
Spencer gave Chelsea a first half lead as the Blues dominated the opening 45 minutes with their slick passing, but Rioch made half-time changes and Lee Dixon levelled with two minutes to go as Arsenal finished with ten men after Steve Bould's late dismissal.
You may also want to watch:
"The players have been magnificent for me this season but the previous manager said before the start of this season that it needed a rebuild,'' added Rioch.
"We lost five players in the summer and only signed two - the coaching staff said we were short before.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 6 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 7 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 8 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 9 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 10 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52