GUNNERS YEARS: Nicholas and Woodcock axed as goals dry up
1985: Manager Don Howe has dropped forwards Charlie Nicholas and Tony Woodcock in recent weeks after the goals – and their Division One title challenge – dried up, but he insists Paul Mariner will remain in the starting XI, despite also losing his scoring
Manager Don Howe has dropped forwards Charlie Nicholas and Tony Woodcock in recent weeks after the goals - and their Division One title challenge - dried up, but he insists Paul Mariner will remain in the starting XI, despite also losing his scoring touch.
"There is no problem with his attitude," explains Howe, "He is a natural - the sort that gees himself up all the time.
"It is just a matter of not scoring. Every other part of Paul's game is OK."
You may also want to watch:
Mariner responds with a thumping equaliser as Arsenal beat West Ham 2-1 in front of a disappointing 25,818 Highbury crowd.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 6 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 7 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 8 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate