GUNNERS YEARS: Nicholas and Woodcock axed as goals dry up
1985: Manager Don Howe has dropped forwards Charlie Nicholas and Tony Woodcock in recent weeks after the goals – and their Division One title challenge – dried up, but he insists Paul Mariner will remain in the starting XI, despite also losing his scoring
Manager Don Howe has dropped forwards Charlie Nicholas and Tony Woodcock in recent weeks after the goals - and their Division One title challenge - dried up, but he insists Paul Mariner will remain in the starting XI, despite also losing his scoring touch.
"There is no problem with his attitude," explains Howe, "He is a natural - the sort that gees himself up all the time.
"It is just a matter of not scoring. Every other part of Paul's game is OK."
You may also want to watch:
Mariner responds with a thumping equaliser as Arsenal beat West Ham 2-1 in front of a disappointing 25,818 Highbury crowd.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 6 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 7 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'