GUNNERS YEARS: Neil and Graham have contrasting fortunes in Europe
1960: At a meeting of the Football League in St Anne s, Arsenal join Manchester United in proposing an increase in the current win bonus from £4 to £10. It s also suggested players taking part in televised games earn an extra £10. Meanwhile, the Gunners
At a meeting of the Football League in St Anne's, Arsenal join Manchester United in proposing an increase in the current win bonus from £4 to £10. It's also suggested players taking part in televised games earn an extra £10.
Meanwhile, the Gunners beat Tottenham 1-0 in the second round of the London Challenge Cup at Highbury, courtesy of an 80th minute Mel Charles winner.
You may also want to watch:
Karl Berger stabbed home a late winner for Belgian minnows Winterslag when they beat Terry Neill's side 1-0 in the second round, first leg of the Uefa Cup in torrential rain. Arsenal make a shock exit a fortnight later, winning 2-1 at Highbury but going out on the away goals rule.
The Gunners miss out in an 11th hour bid to sign Ayr United's Scotland Under-21 defender, Steve Nicol.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 9 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 10 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
The 19-year-old, instead, moves to Liverpool for £300,000.
"I think all English teams play the same way," said Standard Liege coach Arie Haan before his side's Cup-Winners' Cup clash with the Gunners at Highbury.
"Arsenal should know we're not afraid of anyone." He should have been. Ian Wright scores twice as Arsenal win 3-0. Two weeks later they smash the Belgians 7-0 on their own pitch.
"I was delighted with that performance," smirked George Graham afterwards, "and it's not often I say that."
Former Arsenal, Liverpool and England star Ray Kennedy, who suffers from Parkinson's Disease, sells his medals at a Christie's auction for £88,400.
"My health is not good enough. You feel as if you are draining away down the sink.
"You don't know where your strength is going," said the 42-year-old, who won the Double at Highbury before moving to Merseyside.
l William Gallas says Arsenal must win a trophy this season as the side win their 11th successive game against Bolton, to move seven points clear of London rivals Chelsea, who have played a game more.
"If we win nothing, there is no point," says the skipper.
Arsenal top a new list showing the percentage of seats sold for every home game: 99.5 per cent of The Emirates seats are sold, compared to 99.2 per cent at Old Trafford.
Blackburn are bottom with 72.2 per cent.
COMPILED BY JEM MAIDMENT