GUNNERS YEARS: Just 13,000 see Graham Rix cracker
1982: Britain is in the middle of an economic downturn – and Arsenal fans, restless at a series of inept displays, are feeling the pinch. Just 13,738 are at Highbury – the lowest home gate of the season – to watch the Gunners move into third place in Divi
Britain is in the middle of an economic downturn - and Arsenal fans, restless at a series of inept displays, are feeling the pinch.
Just 13,738 are at Highbury - the lowest home gate of the season - to watch the Gunners move into third place in Division One with a 1-0 win over Middlesbrough, courtesy of a Graham Rix cracker eight minutes from time.
Manager Terry Neill admits: "The size of the crowd is worrying - but we do have some money in the bank.
You may also want to watch:
"We are very aware of the need to provide entertainment and goals, (but) we are now third in the table and that is not bad for a bum team.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 9 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101