GUNNERS YEARS: Graham bites back at critics after title triumph
1989: George Graham hits back at critics who claim his side roughed up Liverpool in their 2-0 win at Anfield, which clinched Arsenal s first title in 18 years, We were not violent, not physical in the least, he said, before praising his young team
George Graham hits back at critics who claim his side ''roughed up'' Liverpool in their 2-0 win at Anfield, which clinched Arsenal's first title in 18 years, "We were not violent, not physical in the least,'' he said, before praising his young team.
"We have laid a foundation of belief at Highbury. If you lose hope, or lose belief, you may as well get out of football. This win was a fairytale, the unpredictable that makes us all love football.''
An estimated 250,000 fans take to the streets of Islington to see the trophy paraded. Graham adds: This is the finest day. The fans have shown how they appreciate us and we want to show the fans that we appreciate them.''
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the Gunners are linked with a move for Sheffield Wednesday's powerful Iceland international midfielder, Siggi Jonsson.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate