GUNNERS YEARS: Charlie Nicholas on his way back to Scotland
1987: Arsenal striker Charlie Nicholas handed in a transfer request – just a month after signing a new one-year contract extension. The Scotland striker was persuaded to stay after scoring both goals in the Littlewoods Cup final win over Liverpool the pre
Grampus 8's Arsene Wenger admitted he was anxious to get started as Arsenal's new manager.
The Gunners refused to confirm his imminent arrival, despite previously naming him, but the 46-year-old Frenchman said: "I want to be free from my contract sooner or later but, as I understand it, Grampus 8 have not got a replacement for me.
"I am hopeful matters can be sorted out and that there will be an announcement in mid-September."
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal, with caretaker boss Stewart Houston at the helm, fought back from 2-0 down to earn a 3-3 draw at home to Chelsea and Wenger added: "I've been keeping a close eye on their results and have had some videos sent over."
Meanwhile, new �3.5m signing Patrick Vieira made a 45 minute appearance in the reserves' 3-0 win over Bournemouth. An impressed reserve manager George Armstrong admitted: "He could be ready for the first team in a couple of weeks.'
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 6 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 7 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 8 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 9 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change