GUNNERS YEARS: Bergkamp's beautiful goal, by Bobby Robson
2002: Dennis Bergkamp scores one of his most outrageous goals in an Arsenal shirt as the Gunners continue their march to their first Premier League title in four seasons with a 2-0 win at Newcastle. The Holland star flicked the ball one side of Nikos Dabi
Dennis Bergkamp scores one of his most outrageous goals in an Arsenal shirt as the Gunners continue their march to their first Premier League title in four seasons with a 2-0 win at Newcastle.
The Holland star flicked the ball one side of Nikos Dabizas, and turned the other way in an instant, before collecting his own 'pass' to sidefoot expertly past Shay Given in the United goal.
"You can't blame anyone for that one," Newcastle manager Bobby Robson sighed. "You just have to accept that Bergkamp did a beautiful thing."
You may also want to watch:
That sublime strike was followed quickly by a Sol Campbell effort to secure victory as Arsenal stretched their unbeaten run to 16 games - avenging a 1-3 home reverse to Newcastle back in December.
'We are in a good position to win the title," smiled Arsene Wenger afterwards. "It will be tough, but it is down to us now."
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 8 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 9 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots