GUNNERS YEARS: Bergkamp's beautiful goal, by Bobby Robson
2002: Dennis Bergkamp scores one of his most outrageous goals in an Arsenal shirt as the Gunners continue their march to their first Premier League title in four seasons with a 2-0 win at Newcastle. The Holland star flicked the ball one side of Nikos Dabi
Dennis Bergkamp scores one of his most outrageous goals in an Arsenal shirt as the Gunners continue their march to their first Premier League title in four seasons with a 2-0 win at Newcastle.
The Holland star flicked the ball one side of Nikos Dabizas, and turned the other way in an instant, before collecting his own 'pass' to sidefoot expertly past Shay Given in the United goal.
"You can't blame anyone for that one," Newcastle manager Bobby Robson sighed. "You just have to accept that Bergkamp did a beautiful thing."
You may also want to watch:
That sublime strike was followed quickly by a Sol Campbell effort to secure victory as Arsenal stretched their unbeaten run to 16 games - avenging a 1-3 home reverse to Newcastle back in December.
'We are in a good position to win the title," smiled Arsene Wenger afterwards. "It will be tough, but it is down to us now."
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 4 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 8 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 9 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike