GUNNERS YEARS: Bergkamp's beautiful goal, by Bobby Robson
2002: Dennis Bergkamp scores one of his most outrageous goals in an Arsenal shirt as the Gunners continue their march to their first Premier League title in four seasons with a 2-0 win at Newcastle. The Holland star flicked the ball one side of Nikos Dabi
Dennis Bergkamp scores one of his most outrageous goals in an Arsenal shirt as the Gunners continue their march to their first Premier League title in four seasons with a 2-0 win at Newcastle.
The Holland star flicked the ball one side of Nikos Dabizas, and turned the other way in an instant, before collecting his own 'pass' to sidefoot expertly past Shay Given in the United goal.
"You can't blame anyone for that one," Newcastle manager Bobby Robson sighed. "You just have to accept that Bergkamp did a beautiful thing."
You may also want to watch:
That sublime strike was followed quickly by a Sol Campbell effort to secure victory as Arsenal stretched their unbeaten run to 16 games - avenging a 1-3 home reverse to Newcastle back in December.
'We are in a good position to win the title," smiled Arsene Wenger afterwards. "It will be tough, but it is down to us now."
- 1 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 2 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 3 Revealed: The five most polluted places in Camden
- 4 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 5 Hundreds oppose Hampstead Heath dog walker licence scheme
- 6 Camden’s recycling rate has fallen – and this rubbish is now urgent
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Vagina Museum reopens with the history of periods
- 9 Crouch End join cricketing and cultural exchange programme
- 10 'Balanced diet vitally important for our mental health and wellbeing'