Guests evacuated from Bayswater hotel fire
Sixty people were evacuated from a hotel fire in Craven Road, Bayswater, last night.
The fire caused damage to a first floor room but no-one was hurt and guests had left the building before firefighters arrived.
It is believed the fire started after a shirt was left hanging over a light which was switched on.
They were called to the scene at 11.41pm.
Stephen McGie, Paddington fire station’s watch manager, said: “There was a lot of smoke coming out of the building when we arrived, so the fire looked quite dramatic. Our firefighters worked very hard to get the fire out quickly and safely, and crews did well in the challenging conditions.
You may also want to watch:
“You should never cover lights or lamps with fabric or anything else that could catch fire.
“A light can get very hot and if something is covering it, it can heat up and catch fire.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 6 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 7 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 8 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
“Always ensure you’re using the right wattage and never cover or hang anything over the top of them.”