Hampstead Garden Suburb street party returns after 15-year break
- Credit: Dan Ison
A group of Hampstead Garden Suburb families brought back a long-running street party at the weekend – 15 years after it last ran.
The Grey Close street party had been a regular fixture for people in the quiet cul-de-sac since the Queen’s jubilee in 1975.
It stopped in the middle of the 2000s. But Dan Ison, who’s lived with his wife Joanna in the road since 2015, and some neighbours decided to bring it back.
“We had a housewarming for somebody who moved onto the street, and we were talking about doing the same thing again,” he said.
They decided to organise a Grey Close Encounters party on Saturday, and 70 people from the area turned out. There was table tennis and volleyball competitions, plus food and drink.
You may also want to watch:
“It was brilliant,” he said. “We had glorious sunshine, and we got a good community feel out of it. The older generation who had fond memories of the street party joined in, and it was wonderful.”
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United