Hampstead Garden Suburb street party returns after 15-year break
- Credit: Dan Ison
A group of Hampstead Garden Suburb families brought back a long-running street party at the weekend – 15 years after it last ran.
The Grey Close street party had been a regular fixture for people in the quiet cul-de-sac since the Queen’s jubilee in 1975.
It stopped in the middle of the 2000s. But Dan Ison, who’s lived with his wife Joanna in the road since 2015, and some neighbours decided to bring it back.
“We had a housewarming for somebody who moved onto the street, and we were talking about doing the same thing again,” he said.
They decided to organise a Grey Close Encounters party on Saturday, and 70 people from the area turned out. There was table tennis and volleyball competitions, plus food and drink.
You may also want to watch:
“It was brilliant,” he said. “We had glorious sunshine, and we got a good community feel out of it. The older generation who had fond memories of the street party joined in, and it was wonderful.”
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher