Green Party’s single Camden councillor Maya de Souza to step down in Highgate
- Credit: Photo: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Green Party’s single Camden councillor has announced she is to step down after eight years in the role.
Highgate councillor Maya de Souza will not stand for re-election to Camden Council next month.
Cllr de Souza wrote to supporters in Highgate this weekend to inform them of her decision.
She said: “Working both as a civil servant and a councillor has never been an easy balancing act, and as a result of changes in my role, sadly I don’t feel able to continue with this.”
The Greens will field a full slate of candidates for the council election on May 22, with Highgate singled out as the party’s number one target by national leader Natalie Bennett.
You may also want to watch:
Former London Mayoral candidate Sian Berry, architectural designer Matt Johnston and lawyer Robert McCracken QC make up the party’s team to contest the election in Highgate.
Cllr de Souza added: “I am delighted to be handing over the baton of Green politics to a strong new Highgate Green team. Sian, Matt and Robert have a great deal to offer to Highgate residents, and to Camden as a whole, and I hope they will be welcomed by voters in Highgate to replace me as their councillor.”
- 1 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley