Green ‘gym’ combines workout with community work in Belsize Park
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Energetic volunteers who combine good works with keep-fit sessions celebrated their achievements this week.
The Belsize and Adelaide Green Gym arranges three hours of hard graft every Sunday to give volunteers a workout while helping to improve community green spaces and nature reserves in and around Belsize Park.
On Sunday, the Green Gym marked its first birthday by inviting other community groups, including an American Scouts troop based in St John’s Wood, for tea and cake and to join in with a brief gardening session at the Belsize Sensory Garden, in Haverstock Hill, Belsize Park.
The project was set up last April by national charity The Conservation Volunteers (TCV) and has already attracted 140 members, who have so far devoted about 1,300 hours towards improving outdoor spaces in Belsize Park.
Laurence Clapdorp, TCV’s Camden Green Gym project officer, said: “It’s a way to do your bit for the community and environment, and at the same time keep fit. You can compare carrying tools to lifting weights, and the digging, shovelling and planting – quite a lot of these activities are good for burning calories and improving cardiovascular performance.
You may also want to watch:
“In a way, you don’t really realise that you’re exercising – you don’t have the boredom factor of having to push yourself at a normal gym.”
Email BelsizeAdelaideGG@gmail.com for more information.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 5 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate