Golders Green synagogue could be sold off by end of the year
GOLDERS Green synagogue, a well-known building central to Jewish heritage in London, could be put up for sale later this year. United Synagogue, which runs the Dunstan Road base, has held a meeting to discuss selling off the listed building. The synagogue
GOLDERS Green synagogue, a well-known building central to Jewish heritage in London, could be put up for sale later this year.
United Synagogue, which runs the Dunstan Road base, has held a meeting to discuss selling off the listed building.
The synagogue says the building no longer meets the needs of the community and could be sold off to pay for a new development at the back of the site. Alternatively, land could be sold to fund a revamp.
Chairwoman Jacqui Zinkin said: "The community consultation proved extremely fruitful and we are investigating a number of the ideas presented by our members.
You may also want to watch:
"Golders Green is a dynamic community and we hope to find a solution which will enhance the development of our community and respond to its needs for many years to come."
The building was commended in an English Heritage guide entitled Jewish Heritage in London published in November 2006.
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 3 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 6 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 7 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 8 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 9 'State pension must be raised or older people face a dismal future'
- 10 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
It was built in 1922 and was Grade II-listed last year. It is well known in the Jewish community not least for being the former synagogue of Chief Rabbi Sir Jonathan Sacks.