Golders Green police incident: 'Molotov cocktail' thrown towards synagogue
- Credit: Wendy Phillips
A device thought to be a molotov cocktail was thrown outside of a synagogue in Golders Green early this afternoon.
Police, London Fire Brigade and London Ambulance Service were all on the scene in The Riding, off Golders Green Road.
The synagogue in question was the Golders Green Beth Hamedrash, but a member of staff said "thankfully", no-one has been hurt.
Michael David, who manages admin at the synagogue, said: "We were kept out of the firing line."
Peter Phillips was in Golders Green Road when the incident occurred.
He told the Ham&High: "We saw all the emergency vehicles turn up. Fire brigade, ambulance, must have been about 15 police vehicles.
"We saw the first two police cars turn up and people rushed out of an upstairs flat pointing after a car that had sped off, they went straight after him."
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 3 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 5 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 6 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 7 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 8 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 9 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 10 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
"Officers attended and found a man with a vehicle. The man is believed to have set fire to an object before being detained.
"No members of the public or officers are believed to have been injured. Enquiries are ongoing. The man was arrested on suspicion of a number of offences. As a precaution, nearby roads have been closed."
The Jewish charity CST, which works on security and antisemitism issues, added: "Incident in Golders Green this afternoon appears NOT terror related. We thank the emergency services for their constant vigilance and work."
This page is being updated.