Search

Hero dog saves owners in Golders Green fire

PUBLISHED: 17:59 12 June 2017 | UPDATED: 11:23 13 June 2017

Beloved Daisy died from smoke inhalation at the scene.

Beloved Daisy died from smoke inhalation at the scene.

Archant

A brave dog alerted its owners who lived in the flat above Kay’s kosher supermarket to the fire, but perished in the smoke.

The fire at Kay's kosher supermarket lasted almost all day. Photo: London Fire Brigade.The fire at Kay's kosher supermarket lasted almost all day. Photo: London Fire Brigade.

A family friend fundraising for victims of the Golders Green fire has described how a dog, Daisy, bravely rescued a pregnant girlfriend and her boyfriend from inhaling toxic fumes or perishing in the flames.

Lorenzo Romero-Borrett, who has launched an online crowdfunding page, described how Daisy woke his best friend Alex Gibson and his pregnant girlfriend, Charlotte Perren, at around 7.32am yesterday morning.

While his friends were saved, the dog who saved their life inhaled too much smoke and died.

Lorenzo wrote on his gofundmepage: “In the confusion, his dog, Daisy, tragically died from smoke inhalation whilst saving their lives, which allowed them to alert the other residents of the building, further saving more lives.”

He added: “My friend’s home was destroyed and he lost all his possessions, including all his clothes, all his furniture, and all the DJ equipment he uses to make money to provide for his family.”

Lorenzo has so far raised more than £400 for anyone affected by the fire to start to rebuild their lives.

Donors have been offering money, baby clothes, and even a cream leather sofa to help people who have lost everything.

Police have reported that no one has died, but people were treated for smoke inhalation.

Officers are still investigating the fire, which lasted from the early morning to late evening yesterday.

Three people were rescued from the kosher supermarket on Princess Parade and 25 people were evacuated before the Fire Brigade arrived.

All of the ground floor of the supermarket and a large section of the first floor was alight, and more than 95 firefighters and officers tackled the fire.

There were 15 fire engines and an aerial ladder platform from stations including Hendon, West Hampstead, Finchley and Mill Hill fire stations were at the scene.

Officers from Barnet are working closely with colleagues from the LFB to establish the cause of the fire.

They say that due to the extensive damage caused by the fire, this is expected to take some time.

To donate to the fund, visit here.

Most Read

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists