Golders Green crash: Detectives appeal for footage of moment car ploughs into pharmacy hitting pedestrians
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating the horrific moment a car mounted the pavement in Golders Green hitting two pedestrians before ploughing into a pharmacy are appealing for anyone with footage of the incident to contact them.
Two men aged 45 years and 80 years were being treated in hospital following the crash at 11.46am on Wednesday. Their injuries are not life threatening according to police.
Witnesses said a silver car mounted the pavement in Golders Green Road while the high street was full of shoppers preparing for the Jewish Passover and ploughed into the pedestrians before smashing into the Victoria Pharmacy.
The air ambulance, three ambulance crews, an incident response officer and a hazaradous area response team were sent to the scene and the London Ambulance Service treated two men before taking them to hospital.
Local resident Sharon Klaff, 69, who was driving to work as a yoga teacher in the aftermath of the crash, was told that a man had been trapped under a car.
She said: “It is a terrible thing to see. It is quite traumatic to watch. The police and the emergency services have been doing a fantastic job in caring for people. It is troubling to see. In my heart I am hoping it was just an accident.
“When I came to the shop there was people holding the shopfront up so that the debris - like the sign - did not fall and hit anyone. People were trying to help and trying to make sure that no one got injured.”
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 6 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 7 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 8 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
- 9 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 10 Roadworks and rail disruptions in north London over the next week
Passer-by David Collier tweeted: “Tragic. People holding shop front up . Certainly serious injury. People just out for pesach shopping. Heartbreaking.”
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said fire crews from Hendon, Finchley and Paddington fire stations were called out to “a road traffic accident involving a car in collision with a shop front”.
The male driver of the car stopped at the scene and assisted officers. He was not arrested.
A Met Police spokesman said: “We understand there is a lot of footage of the incident in circulation and would request that anyone in possession of such footage; who witnessed the incident; or has any information which could assist contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit at Alperton on 020 8991 9555.