Giggs wonder goal breaks Arsenal hearts in pulsating FA Cup replay
1999: Ryan Giggs scores a wonder goal in extra time to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the last ever FA Cup semi-final replay at Villa Park. David Beckham fired United ahead before Dennis Bergkamp levelled. The Dutch striker then saw his penalty saved by Peter Schmei
Ryan Giggs scores a wonder goal in extra time to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the last ever FA Cup semi-final replay at Villa Park.
David Beckham fired United ahead before Dennis Bergkamp levelled. The Dutch striker then saw his penalty saved by Peter Schmeichel before Giggs blasted home his later winner after a mazy run for ten-man United. It was their first win over the Gunners in seven attempts.
"We gave everything and my players will pick themselves up again," said Arsene Wenger.
You may also want to watch:
'It is not easy to take a defeat but what you can demand of a team is they give everything and that is what my team did tonight. The two teams are very close to each other and in the end the luckiest won."
Meanwhile, Wenger is asked by Japan coach Philippe Troussier for his help in the 2002 World Cup finals in three years time.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 5 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 8 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 9 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike