Giggs wonder goal breaks Arsenal hearts in pulsating FA Cup replay
1999: Ryan Giggs scores a wonder goal in extra time to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the last ever FA Cup semi-final replay at Villa Park. David Beckham fired United ahead before Dennis Bergkamp levelled. The Dutch striker then saw his penalty saved by Peter Schmei
Ryan Giggs scores a wonder goal in extra time to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the last ever FA Cup semi-final replay at Villa Park.
David Beckham fired United ahead before Dennis Bergkamp levelled. The Dutch striker then saw his penalty saved by Peter Schmeichel before Giggs blasted home his later winner after a mazy run for ten-man United. It was their first win over the Gunners in seven attempts.
"We gave everything and my players will pick themselves up again," said Arsene Wenger.
'It is not easy to take a defeat but what you can demand of a team is they give everything and that is what my team did tonight. The two teams are very close to each other and in the end the luckiest won."
Meanwhile, Wenger is asked by Japan coach Philippe Troussier for his help in the 2002 World Cup finals in three years time.
- 1 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 4 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 5 'First public sculpture' of Mother of Methodism carved in East Finchley
- 6 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 7 Full fibre broadband rollout coming to Crouch End and Barking
- 8 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 9 Ramsey Court: Residents send letter to Gove in attempt to stop development
- 10 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing