Giggs wonder goal breaks Arsenal hearts in pulsating FA Cup replay
1999: Ryan Giggs scores a wonder goal in extra time to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the last ever FA Cup semi-final replay at Villa Park. David Beckham fired United ahead before Dennis Bergkamp levelled. The Dutch striker then saw his penalty saved by Peter Schmei
Ryan Giggs scores a wonder goal in extra time to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the last ever FA Cup semi-final replay at Villa Park.
David Beckham fired United ahead before Dennis Bergkamp levelled. The Dutch striker then saw his penalty saved by Peter Schmeichel before Giggs blasted home his later winner after a mazy run for ten-man United. It was their first win over the Gunners in seven attempts.
"We gave everything and my players will pick themselves up again," said Arsene Wenger.
You may also want to watch:
'It is not easy to take a defeat but what you can demand of a team is they give everything and that is what my team did tonight. The two teams are very close to each other and in the end the luckiest won."
Meanwhile, Wenger is asked by Japan coach Philippe Troussier for his help in the 2002 World Cup finals in three years time.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 3 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 4 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots