George stands to win a million, but don't bet on it
YOU may think there s more chance of aliens from Mars than Britain winning gold at the Olympics, but there s only one man around here loopy enough to bet on it. Step forward Rainbow George Weiss, who is up to his usual numerical nonsense, betting £333 on
YOU may think there's more chance of aliens from Mars than Britain winning gold at the Olympics, but there's only one man around here loopy enough to bet on it.
Step forward Rainbow George Weiss, who is up to his usual numerical nonsense, betting £333 on a UFO appearing during the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics on August 8, or 8/8/8.
Staff at the William Hill bookmaker on Hampstead High Street humoured the self-acknowledged 'village idiot' by asking if he expected the UFO to land or not.
George stands to gain £999,000 if a spaceship miraculously appears but its presence must be verified by the International Olympic Committee.
This isn't the first time the old codger has been caught with his head in the clouds. He made a similar bet about several UFOs appearing above the Live Earth festival on 7/7/7 but says this bet is 'much simpler'.
He said: "If I win, I'd use the money to help establish the bank of a zillion wonders, like a cosmic gift to humanity. Money talks; it says goodbye.
- 1 Bus collides with lamppost in Muswell Hill crash
- 2 Stephen Mangan has Crouch End pupils 'in stitches'
- 3 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 4 Developer told to dig up granite slabs at Hornsey Town Hall Square
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 6 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 7 Infected Blood Inquiry: Transfusion centre was 'disaster zone'
- 8 Villa Bianca brings the Christmas cheer to Hampstead
- 9 Haringey Council makes senior leadership appointments
- 10 Covid-19: Omicron cases confirmed in Haringey and Barnet