Highgate George Michael concert raises £3k for heart charity
- Credit: George Bodnar Archive//IconicPix
A fundraising concert to remember George Michael almost a year after the pop star’s death has raised £3,000.
The gig, entitled ‘You Have Been Loved’, saw a crowd of more than 300 fans flock to St Michael’s Church in South Grove, Highgate, to enjoy hits including ‘Last Christmas’, ‘Careless Whisper’ and ‘I’m Your Man’.
Toby Bourke, who duetted with the singer on single ‘Waltz Away Dreaming’ in 1997, said: “The show was organised from the heart. It was intimate and emotional. The enduring love for George from the wonderful people who came along on the night was something that will stay with me.
“The last time I was in Highgate was when I was working with George at his Aegean studio in the High Street.
“I never imagined that my return to Highgate would be to play at an event to mark his passing. It was incredibly sad but I’m delighted I was included in the event. George would have been proud of it,” he added.
You may also want to watch:
Owen Paul, who vied with George Michael to reach the top of the charts in 1986 with his hit ‘My Favourite Waste of Time, commented: “I was very proud to be involved in this tribute, especially in such a fantastic setting as St Michael’s Church, across the road from George’s London home.”
The money raised will go to heart charity Cardiomyopathy UK.
- 1 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 3 Builders finish first block in controversial Hornsey Town Hall development
- 4 Camden's £50k Covid-19 fall in house prices bucks north London trend
- 5 Amazon Fresh convenience store without tills opens in Chalk Farm
- 6 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 7 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 8 Hampstead Heath memorial to the band of brothers who fought fascism
- 9 Parliament Hill Lido Café on 'heartwarming' business life in Hampstead Heath
- 10 Rift over nursery plan for play area outside Hornsey block