George Michael fans gather in Highgate to mark star’s 54th birthday
- Credit: Archant
George Michael fans gathered outside the star’s home in The Grove, Highgate, to mark what would have been his fifty-fourth birthday on Sunday.
They brought balloons, flowers and wore tribute t-shirts as they gathered on the green opposite his home, which has been set up as a shrine to the star following the Wham! star’s death.
George Michael, who was born on June 25 1963, died in December last year at the age of 53.
His body was found by his former partner, hairdresser Fadi Fawaz, at his home in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, on Christmas Day.
Devastated fans set up a shrine to the singer in the days following is death bringing, flowers, candles and pictures. Fresh flowers are still constantly being laid there with a stream of visitors.
On Sunday, scores gathered at the site to pay birthday tributes.
Suky Grant, of Dartmouth Park, who took these photos as she was passing by, said: “It was amazing. There were lots of devoted fans there paying tribute to George Michael.”
- 1 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 2 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 3 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 4 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 5 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 6 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 7 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 8 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
- 9 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 10 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
One banner read: “Happy Birthday George. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.”
Many also remembered the popstar, birthday on social media.
Sue Gayler, tweeted: ”@GeorgeMichael Happy Birthday. A beautiful but emotional day at Highgate. I will never forget meeting Abby and Alex. Love and miss you GM XX”
Tracy @tracefaith tweeted: It’s all beautiful...Happy birthday @GeorgeMichael you deserve the love here at Highgate
While @Clairwardle wrote: “ Just walked past George Michael’s home in Highgate. Beautiful tributes for what would have been his birthday tomorrow”.
Geri Horner, who was a close friend of her neighour George, paid tribute to him with her new song.
Take That’s Gary Barlow posted an old photograph of himself posing with Michael to his more than 130,000 Instagram followers with the simple message: “Happy Birthday George”.