George Michael fans gather in Highgate to mark star’s 54th birthday
- Credit: Archant
George Michael fans gathered outside the star’s home in The Grove, Highgate, to mark what would have been his fifty-fourth birthday on Sunday.
They brought balloons, flowers and wore tribute t-shirts as they gathered on the green opposite his home, which has been set up as a shrine to the star following the Wham! star’s death.
George Michael, who was born on June 25 1963, died in December last year at the age of 53.
His body was found by his former partner, hairdresser Fadi Fawaz, at his home in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, on Christmas Day.
Devastated fans set up a shrine to the singer in the days following is death bringing, flowers, candles and pictures. Fresh flowers are still constantly being laid there with a stream of visitors.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday, scores gathered at the site to pay birthday tributes.
Suky Grant, of Dartmouth Park, who took these photos as she was passing by, said: “It was amazing. There were lots of devoted fans there paying tribute to George Michael.”
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 7 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
- 10 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
One banner read: “Happy Birthday George. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.”
Many also remembered the popstar, birthday on social media.
Sue Gayler, tweeted: ”@GeorgeMichael Happy Birthday. A beautiful but emotional day at Highgate. I will never forget meeting Abby and Alex. Love and miss you GM XX”
Tracy @tracefaith tweeted: It’s all beautiful...Happy birthday @GeorgeMichael you deserve the love here at Highgate
While @Clairwardle wrote: “ Just walked past George Michael’s home in Highgate. Beautiful tributes for what would have been his birthday tomorrow”.
Geri Horner, who was a close friend of her neighour George, paid tribute to him with her new song.
Take That’s Gary Barlow posted an old photograph of himself posing with Michael to his more than 130,000 Instagram followers with the simple message: “Happy Birthday George”.