Gangsta Granny show raises over £14,000 for Age UK Camden’s Good Neighbours Scheme
- Credit: Archant
A special gala performance of David Walliams’ best-selling children’s book ‘Gangsta Granny’ has raised over £14,000 for Age Uk’s Camden Good Neighbours Scheme.
The show was performed in the West End at the Garrick Theatre on July 28, and directed by Neal Foster, a volunteer with Age UK Camden.
The Good Neighbours Scheme is a vital service for isolated older people in Camden and the show raised £14,615.
Actor, director and Camden resident Mr Foster took inspiration from his experience volunteering with the scheme to adapt and direct the show. Neal visited Rose Zierer every week for six years until she died aged 103 and it changed both their lives. Before the performance, which was dedicated to Rose, he told the audience that befriending is “one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done”.
After the show Hampstead Auction Rooms hosted an auction for the charity. Donated prizes included a signed framed photo of 2017 FA Cup winners Arsenal, tickets to the press night of David Walliams’ Awful Auntie, a signed framed gold disc from ‘Everything But The Girl’ and an opportunity to meet the cast of Gangsta Granny. The auction raised almost £3000.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Jones, Age UK Camden Chief Executive, said: This generous donation means we are over half way towards raising the funds we need to continue delivering this service in 2017/18.”
Performances of Gangsta Granny will continue at the theatre until September 3.
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 8 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 9 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 10 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing