Gang-troubled estates to be visited by Westminster Council programme
Estates troubled by serious gang violence will be visited by gang workers, police and other professionals in a council-run event.
The Wood&Vale revealed last week that Lisson Grove estate had been plagued by large groups of young people fighting with knives and sticks in gang-related violence this summer.
The estate, along with nearby Warwick Estate, will host the council’s second Your Choice: Your Community event on September 21 and 22.
It will see gang and youth club workers, senior decision-makers from Westminster Council and representatives of the Metropolitan Police Safer Neighbourhoods teams visit to discuss ways to tackle gang crime with residents.
Unique Dynamite cheerleaders will treat visitors to street dance and cheerleading demonstrations and will also run workshops and taster sessions to allow young people to try out the activities for themselves.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Nickie Aiken, Westminster Council’s cabinet member for children, young people and community protection, said: “I hope this dedicated event will help us to be even more available and receptive to local people’s views, as well as to provide them with more detailed information about the Your Choice programme and the work we are doing in their neighbourhood.”
David Savizon, a Westminster gangs outreach worker, added: “This is a fantastic opportunity for local people to meet us, share their concerns about youth violence, and learn more about what we’re offering through the Your Choice programme in Westminster.”
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'