Safety fears over plans to lift barbecue ban in Camden
A Highgate community group has criticised plans to withdraw the ban on barbecues in Camden’s parks and open spaces.
The Friends of Waterlow Park complained that it was not consulted in advance over the decision, which was made public last week.
Highgate councillor Sally Gimson, Camden cabinet member for sustainability and the environment, claimed she had written to all the “friends” groups of Camden’s green spaces.
She has admitted that there will be no detailed consultation process about the ruling, which will only affect council-owned parks.
The ban was lifted to benefit families who are unable to go on holiday this summer.
You may also want to watch:
But Ceridwen Roberts, co-chairman of the Friends of Waterlow Park, branded the lack of consultation “absolutely inappropriate and high-handed”.
Academic researcher Ms Roberts, of North Road, Highgate, said: “A blanket deregulation across all of Camden’s parks does not seem a sensible way to go forward without consulting with individual park groups.”
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 5 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 6 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 10 'We can't afford it': Camden foodbank prepares for spike in demand
Ms Roberts added that she holds significant safety concerns about the plans.
But Cllr Gimson said the council trusted residents to be responsible and any safety worries were “unfounded”.
Both parties are set to meet on Friday for briefings about the decision.
The lifting of the ban will come into effect in time for the school holidays.