Friends of George Michael are creating a tribute garden to the star with the sea of flowers left outside his home
- Credit: Archant
Friends of George Michael were today gathering outside his Highgate home to create a tribute garden to the singer on the green opposite his house.
In silence they began to sort through the sea of thousands of floral tributes, candles and messages in The Grove and transfer them over to the green to create a walk-through tribute garden.
One said: “There are so many here. They are overflowing onto the road. We want to move them onto this green to create an area where people can walk through.”
The freezing weather means that the thousands of flowers left have been preserved.
“There are more being added daily,” said the family friend.
You may also want to watch:
It comes as George Michael fans are asking the City of London for a commemorative bench on Hampstead Heath, George Michael’s “favourite park” to pay tribute to him.
A petition currently has more than 780 signatures from all around the world.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
This week George’s close friend and former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell named her newborn son after the star.
She posted on Istagram “Montague George Hector Horner arrived this morning.”