French Market on Haverstock Hill should be weekly affair
The traders on Haverstock Hill may have been furious at the sight of the French market but I was unaware that they had a monoply to our purses (French invasion hits traders in the pocket, H&H October 16). Your article sought the opinion of councillors and
The traders on Haverstock Hill may have been furious at the sight of the French market but I was unaware that they had a monoply to our purses (French invasion hits traders in the pocket, H&H October 16).
Your article sought the opinion of councillors and traders but no-one asked the local residents for their views. I thought it was great, a bit of France in Belsize Park, with locals trying to practice their French at the same time. Competition never did anyone any harm.
I would like to go on to suggest that we have a weekly market in that very spot, selling fish and veg and fruit, home made cakes and jams, etc. We are in a economic re session so surely that is a way forward. It also creates a good community atmosphere as folk start to chat to each other, and it would also bring in people from other areas who would shop in the local shops and at the market.
We need choice, not a monopoly by a few traders - mostly all chains, anyway.
You may also want to watch:
Majid Aslani has a cheek to say in the article that the market clogs up the pavements when, I note, he has sublet a takeaway stall on his frontage. It seems to me that some local traders want their cake and eat it!
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 6 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 7 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 8 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
Belsize Lane, NW3